Local Festivals in Cork
Local Festivals in Cork
Every town, village and city should host a festival or two. It is a fantastic way for people to engage and socialise. Themed festivals are especially popular as they cater to certain niches of society. A fine example of this is the Tattoo Festival held in Midleton County Cork every June. It is a weekend of fun and frolics tattoo-style!
You can get a tattoo or piercing of your own or just admire others. Another great example is the Listowel Writers Week. This week starts at the end of May and overlaps months into June. It is held in Listowel, birthplace of John B Keane, so mark it on next years calendar!
How could we write a blog about festivals and not mention our very own Inchigeelagh Festival? We couldn’t and we wouldn’t.
The Inchigeelagh Festival was revived in the last decade. It is a labour of love for the locals, as is every festival to its own village or town. In this case the festival and the town revolves around the GAA club, Uibh Laoire, and its pitch. Perhaps this blog should be about the role of the local GAA clubs….
The GAA club, Uibh Laoire, is essential to the organising and hosting of the Inchigeelagh Festival. The humongous marquee is erected in the ‘River Island’. It hosts many of the festivities.
Here is a list of some of this year’s activities and festivities:
- Cookery Demonstration with Chef Adrian on Thursday 21st
- Men’s Tug-O-War
- Music from Mike Denver on Friday Night
- 5km Run or Walk
- DJs every night, including 2FMs Jenny Greene on Saturday Night
- Family Fun Day, aka Mini Olympics
- Children’s Fancy Dress
- Vintage Demonstration
- Outdoor concert
- & many, many more attractions and activities.
Previous headliners at the Inchigeelagh Festival include The Frank and Walters, Philomena Begley and Brendan Grace. Festival favourites Bog the Donkey, will play on the Sunday night to bring the event to a close
- Bandon Walled-Town Festival, Bandon, County Cork
- The Rose of Tralee, Tralee, County Kerry
- City of Derry Guitar Festival, Derry
- Sligo Summer Festival, Sligo
- Masters of Tradition, Bantry, County Cork
- Fleadh Cheoil Na hÉireann, Ennis, County Clare
- Puck Fair, Kilorglin, County Kerry
- Dublin Tattoo Convention, Dublin City Convention Centre
Here is the link to find even more fabulous festivals!
- email@example.com (Lauren Hurley)